Thursday, September 17, 2009

Compassion

One of the most important qualities in a good teacher is compassion. Webster's dictionary defines compassion as "a feeling of deep sympathy for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering." When I think back to my years of school, one teacher in particular stands out.

It was the first day of middle school. My mom taught at the elementary school I went to, so I had never gone to school "alone" before. Needless to say, I was freaked out. Everyday for the first week, my mom would practically push me out of the car. I had heard something from a friend about the Student Council program at school. I went to the first meeting and right away I knew that Mrs. Williams could help me. After I was accepted into the program, she told me that I could come to her room every morning and help her with Student Council projects. She knew that I needed extra love, so she gave it to me. Mrs. Williams taught me a lot throught out my years at the middle school. She taught me how to be okay on my own, without Mom or Dad to come and rescue me. She told me that it was okay to be a little scared of new beginnings. Her compassion was unending. If I ever needed a hug, a listening ear or even just a smile, Mrs. Williams had it.

Eventually, my mom didn't have to push me out of the car each morning. I knew that the big middle school wasn't as scary as I had feared it would be. I feel that I grew up quite a bit that year because of Mrs. Williams. I hope that some day I will be a compassionate teacher just as Mrs. Williams was to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment