Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Passion

When I think of the word passion, only one teacher comes to mind...Mr. Marrone.

Mr. Marrone was a loud, emphatic, strong-willed Italian. When I was a sophomore in high school, he was my Writing Composition instructor. Everyday in his class, we were to write a paragraph about something that was going on in our lives. We each had a special journal that we wrote in and we could tell him anything we wanted to. I remember him writing back to me telling me to give him more detail, more "meat and potatoes" about what was going on in my life and how I viewed the world. "I had a good day today" wasn't going to cut it anymore. He made me dig deep and listen to myself think about what I was dealing with. Mr. Marrone's enthusiasm for writing made me so much more interested in English and how to become a better writer; a writer who looked at the world and analyzed what they saw.

Not only was he passionate about writing, but he was passionate about his students. As we read stories to get ideas for our own, Mr. Marrone brought the stories and characters to life. Every day in class was a new day for him to show us something about English. He wanted us to "get it." He wanted us to understand what the big themes of literature were and most importantly he wanted us to analyze them and shape them into our own lives.

Because of Mr. Marrone's guidance in writing and English, I feel that I have become a better student. I know that because of his passion for teaching, I learned how to love writing and English. It has never been one of my favorite or best subjects, but because of Mr. Marrone's passion, I grew to love writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment